Education – It is the process of learning skills, values, beliefs, and habits. Education frequently takes place under the guidance of educators, teachers and professors. Educational methods include storytelling, discussion, teaching, training, and directed research.
Education can take place in formal or informal settings and any experience that has a formative effect on the way one thinks, feels, or acts may be considered educational.
Education is commonly divided formally into such stages as preschool or kindergarten, primary school, secondary school and then college, university, or apprenticeship (Tertiary). In most regions, education is compulsory up to a certain age.
Formal education takes place in a school environment with classrooms of multiple students learning together with a trained, certified teacher of the subject. Most school systems are designed around a set of values or ideals that govern all educational choices in that system. Such choices include curriculum, organizational models, design of the physical learning spaces (e.g. classrooms), student-teacher interactions and methods of assessment, class size, educational activities, and more.
Stages in a School Life:
Preschool Education: Schools providing education ages approximately three to seven, depending on the country also known as Early Childhood Education. These are also termed as nursery schools and as kindergarten. It is a child-centered, preschool curriculum for three- to seven-year-old children that aims at unfolding the child’s physical, intellectual, and moral nature with balanced emphasis on each of them.
Primary Education: It consists of six to eight years of schooling starting at the age of five or six, although this varies within countries. Schools that provide primary education, are mostly referred to as primary schools or elementary schools. Primary schools are often subdivided into infant schools and junior school.
Secondary Education: It normally takes place in secondary or high schools, taking place after primary education and may be followed by higher education or vocational training.
Tertiary (Higher) Education: It is more commonly referred to as post secondary education, refers to academic pursuit undertaken after high school. Undergraduate programs include any post secondary education that takes up to four years to complete, including certificates, diplomas,associates and bachelor’s degrees.
Importance of Education
Sometimes, we are often confused between Literacy and Education. We always have heard about the surveys in print and electronic media showing the percentage of people literate and illiterate in our country. However, there is a big difference between both of them. Literacy is knowing how to read and write. Education is to be able to reason, to use your ability to read and write and to be able to gain knowledge.
We do not need just literate citizens, but educated ones too. We do not want to be a group of people who can read and write but make nothing out of it. Wondering what education makes of us? It makes us human and not a Robot who can read and write too.
Here are reasons why education is extremely important:-
1. Happiness: For a person to be happy, he/she has to feel good from within. It is only possible to have a stable mind and a balanced life if the person is self dependent and has a reputable standing in the society. Being educated, it helps a person to be well known of the things happening around the world. Education may not be the key to happiness but it definitely is the key to many things which come together to make you happy.
2. Earn your own living: With the change of lifestyle, and increase in the prices of each commodity, it is almost impossible for the whole family to depend on one bread earner. Education makes a person confident enough so that he/she can be financially independent.
3. Economic growth of the Nation: A country’s economic growth depends on the quality of education it is providing to its citizens. This automatically results in getting better jobs which in turn would result in getting higher salaries which increases the economic growth of the country. All this is a result of quality education.
4. Healthier Lifestyle & Living: Education helps an individual to lead a better and healthier lifestyle in the society. An educated person is always well aware of the diseases penetrating around him/her, its symptoms and the prevention methods. He always remains in touch with the society through the electronic and social media, newspapers and radio. This results in a healthier and a long life.
5. Applying your own mind: An educated person is always aware what goes on in the society. He knows what all is good and bad for him/her. No one can make him/her a fool. This is due to education which brings awareness related to the society and the world as education is not just limited to books.
6. Turns Dreams to Reality: What is your dream, your aim in life? Do you want to become rich? Do you want to be popular? Do you want to be an extremely successful person who is respected by people? Well, the key to all this is education.
There are exceptions like sportsmen and artists who don’t really owe their success to their education. However in most cases, your degree is what helps you realize all your dreams.
We believe that by now, you would have understood as why education is given utmost preference as it is essential for each and every individual to make a respectable position in society.